Praire Caviar is an easy appetizer that doesn’t require turning on your oven. It comes together quickly and sure to be a crowd pleaser.
This recipe is from Cathy Thomas who wrote three cookbooks in conjunction with Melissa’s Produce.
“Melissa’s Great Book of Produce,” “Melissa’s Everyday Cooking with Organic Produce,” and “50 Best Plants on the Planet.”
According to Cathy, part of the fun of cooking and entertaining is creating delectable dishes without spending hours in the kitchen. If that is your mantra, you will enjoy all of these books.
I met Cathy at a media function and you can read about it here.
You will also enjoy her recipe for Portobello Salad.
Today’s Recipe: Prairie Caviar
If you want a gluten-free alternative to chips, I highly recommend making Jicama Crackers. Judy from My Well Seasoned Life has a great video tutorial on how to cut jicama into chips for appetizers.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic minced
- 1 small sweet onion or 1/2 medium sweet onion diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce} can black beans drained, rinsed
- 1 firm-ripe avocado halved, peeled, pitted, diced
- 1 11-ounce} can corn kernels, drained (or fresh grilled corn
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions including dark green stalks
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 pound Roma tomatoes coarsely chopped
- Tortilla chips
In large bowl, mix vinegar, hot sauce, oil, garlic, sweet onion, and pepper to taste. Add beans and avocado; gently toss.
Add corn, green onions, cilantro, and tomatoes. Mix gently to coat. Add salt to taste and additional pepper if needed. Accompany with tortilla chips for dipping.
Put out an assortment of hot sauces, so guests can kick up their servings to meet individual tastes.
Hope you have a delicious summer with those you love most.
…and then, she paused for thought.