This recipe comes from week 6 class of Pro Chef classes at New School of Cooking in Culver City, CA. We made 11 salads that week, and this one was just exceptional in my book. I actually thought I didn’t like fennel until I tasted this. If you aren’t a fan of fennel… I dare you to try this one.
Insalata Bianca (White Salad)
From New School of Cooking
- 2 fennel bulbs, tough outer leaves discarded, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 Belgian endives, stem ends trimmed, cut lengwise into julienne
- 1 bunch radishes, ends trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Reggiano parmesan shavings
Combine all ingredients except the parmesan cheese in a large bowl and toss. Serve on a large brightly colored platter with parmesan cheese shavings scattered over the salad.
Let me know if you make it and what your thoughts are one this one.